Resources – All

CODC has prepared listings of local, provincial, and national resources for adults with disabilities. You will find organizations that provide information, referral, and/or direct services.

Access 2 Entertainment Card, Easter Seals Canada
This card enables people with permanent disabilities to receive free admission or a significant discount for their support person at 95% of movie theaters in Canada as well as select museums, science centres, theme parks, recreational facilities, and more. The person with a disability will pay regular admission price and must present their card and ID to the box office. A 3-year access card costs and a 5-year card costs .

40 Holly Street Toronto ON M4S 3C3
Phone: 416.932.8382
Phone (Toll Free): 877.376.6362

Agur Lake Camp, Barrier-Free Wilderness Camp
Agur Lake Camp is located 20 km west of Summerland and is run by Philip and Karen Watson who live onsite for the summer. The mandate of the camp is to establish a barrier-free wilderness camp and recreational facility for children and adults with special needs and their families. If you would like to rent a cabin or stay in their dry camp site, contact the office. Video tours of the camp can be viewed online.

Summerland BC

BC Adaptive Snowsports (previously Disabled Skiers Association of BC)
BC Adaptive Snowsports promotes and provides skiing and snowboarding programs and services to all people with disabilities in BC as a form of recreation and rehabilitation. There are 12 adaptive snow sport club programs in BC.

780 SW Marine Drive Vancouver BC V6P 5Y7
Phone: 604.333.3630

BC Association of Professionals with Disabilities
The BC Association of Professionals with Disabilities is dedicated to maximizing the inclusion, job retention, and advancement of current and future professional with disabilities. The organization connects employers with professionals with disabilities and guides the employment process, supports self-advocacy, provides peer support, and shares knowledge related to professionals with disabilities and employment.

714 Warder Place Victoria BC V9A 7H6
Phone: 250.361.9697

BC Blind Sports and Recreation Association (BCBSRA)
The BC Blind Sports and Recreation Association (BCBSRA) offers opportunities for recreation, sports, and community involvement to people of all levels of visual impairment. BCBSRA programs are designed for people of all ages and all skill levels. BCBSRA supports all blind/visually impaired athletes, from those who are solely seeking recreation to those who aim to reach the Paralympic level.

#170 – 5055 Joyce Street Vancouver BC V5R 6B2
Phone: 604.325.8638
Phone (Toll Free): 877.604.8638

BC Centre for Ability
The BC Centre for Ability provides individualized therapy and support services to children and youth in their homes/communities as well as specialized community living services and comprehensive vocational and support services for adults.

2805 Kingsway Vancouver BC V5R 5H9
Phone: 604.451.5511

BC Housing
BC Housing is the provincial government agency responsible for the delivery of affordable housing programs to moderate to low-income families, seniors, and those with disabilities.

Phone (Toll Free): 800.257.7756

BC Legal Services Society (LSS)
BC Legal Services Society provides a range of free services to British Columbian’s including legal information, advice and representation services, and mediation. While priority is given to people with low incomes, many services are available to anyone.

In the Central Okanagan, contact Lori Kennedy, Barrister & Solicitor

210 347 Leon Avenue Kelowna BC V1Y 8C7
Phone: 250.763.8613

BC Rehab Foundation
BC Rehab is committed to closing the gaps between people with and without physical disabilities through advocacy, education, and research, as well as wellness, arts, and recreation programs. Apply for personal mobility equipment as well as individual and project grants.

4255 Laurel Street Vancouver BC V5Z 2G9
Phone: 604.737.6383

BC Transit – HandyDART
handyDART is an accessible, door-to-door shared transit service for people with permanent or temporary disabilities that prevent them from using fixed-route transit without assistance from another person. handyDART picks you up at your accessible door and drops you off at the accessible door of your destination. Customers must first register, at no charge, for this program.

1494 Hardy Street Kelowna BC V1Y 8H2
Phone: 250-762-3278

BC Wheelchair Basketball Society (BCWBS)
The BC Wheelchair Basketball Society (BCWBS) is a catalyst in creating awareness about disability issues and has provided support to wheelchair basketball programs throughout British Columbia since its origins. Wheelchair basketball is for anyone who wishes to participate (disability or not), whether for recreation or for competitive sport. BCWBS offers programs to people who have physical disabilities, and there are programs for people from all age groups from 8 years to seniors. BCWBS also operates a Wheelchair Loan Program, where BCWBS members can borrow lightweight sports wheelchairs to maximize mobility and performance.

780 SW Marine Drive Vancouver BC V6P 5Y7
Phone: 604.326.1229

BC Wheelchair Sports Association
Since 1971, BC Wheelchair Sports has supported the personal growth and athletic development of people with physical disabilities. BC Wheelchair Sports offers quality programs in 4 member sports and 3 associate member sports: Athletics, Basketball, Floor Hockey, Rugby, Target Sports, Tennis, and Curling. Programs for each sport are offered at all different skill levels, from novice to elite. Athletes can play on a recreational or competitive level. Junior programs are also available. BC Wheelchair Sports offers a Wheelchair Loan Program which provides athletes with short-term wheelchairs that are tailored to their chosen sport and sometimes offers financial assistance to athletes to secure their own sports wheelchairs.

780 SW Marine Drive Vancouver BC V6P 5Y7
Phone: 604.333.3520
Phone (Toll Free): 877.737.3090

Bell Relay Service (BRS) & Accessibility Services
Bell offers accessibility services for home phone Bell subscribers with physical
disabilities or difficulties with speech, hearing, and vision. Bells Relay Service is available 24/7 and allows customers to place confidential, free, local calls. Long distance calls are placed at a reduced rate, and registered TTY/teletypewriter users may qualify for an 86% rebate on long distance calls placed to Canada and the U.S. There is also the option for TTY service use from desktop and laptop computers, as well as some tablets and iPhones.

Phone (Toll Free): 800.310.2355 (ask for the Accessibility services centre)
Phone (Tty-Voice):711
Phone (Voice-Tty):800.855.0511
Phone (Tty-Tty):800.855.1155

British Columbia Association for Individualized Technology and Supports for People with Disabilities (BCITS)
BCITS provides services in two main areas to help people with severe disabilities live independently and as well as possible: Provincial Respiratory Outreach Program (PROP) provides equipment and supports to people who use respiratory equipment, such as ventilators; and , Technology for Independent Living (TIL) provides Environmental Control Systems (ECSs) which are sensitive to touch or breathe, allowing people with severe physical disabilities to control devices and systems in their homes. This includes telephones, light switches, electrical outlets, heating systems, security systems, door entry and access, and entertainment systems.

#103 366 East Kent Avenue South Vancouver BC V5X 4N6
Phone: 604.326.0175 (For TIL Program)
Phone (Toll Free): 866.326.1245 (For PROP Program)
eMail: or

Canadian Red Cross Health Equipment Loan Program (HELP)
The Short Term Loan Program, part of the Heath Equipment Loan Program offered by the Canadian Red Cross, provides a range of support such as bathroom equipment, bedroom equipment, canes, wheelchairs, and walkers. Short term loans are available throughout British Columbia and the Yukon.

124 Adams Road Kelowna BC V1X 7R2
Phone: 250.491.8443

Ceridian Cares Grants
Ceridian Cares offers grants to individuals and families who are in need of financial assistance for items such as clothing & footwear, food & basic household needs, medical devices/equipment & therapies, personal development & recreation, and home adjustments. Grant amounts typically range from 0 to ,000.

Phone (Toll Free): 866.313.2827

City of Kelowna – Parking Permit Program
Transferable parking permits are available with an identification number and the international wheelchair symbol which allow people with disabilities to access buildings and services by parking closer and given them extra width to get in and out of the vehicle. This permit is necessary to park in zones reserved for people with disabilities. Applications must be completed by a physician who then recommends the type of permit and the length of validity. An application processing fee is charged and varies according to the vendor. Passes for individuals last 3 years; for groups they last 1-12 months.See also SPARC – Parking Permit Program

1435 Water Street Kelowna BC V1Y 1J4
Phone: 250.469.8757

Community Recreational Initiatives Society (CRIS) Adaptive Adventures
Community Recreational Initiatives Society Adaptive Adventures offers adaptive recreation programs in the Okanagan area including hiking, kayaking, cycling, cross- country skiing, and snowshoeing. The organization aims to improve self-confidence and personal health by providing people with disabilities with the opportunity to connect with nature in a fun and active setting. There is a community day program as well as travel and vacation opportunities.

Box 25141 Mission Park PO Kelowna BC V1W 3Y7
Phone: 250.979.3941

Disability Alliance BC (DABC)
The DABC provides many services and resources for people living with all disabilities, including their Advocacy Access Programs, work on Emergency Preparedness, informative publications (many of which are available in English, Chinese, Punjabi, and Farsi), and much more.

#204 – 456 West Broadway Vancouver BC V5Y 1R3
Phone: 604.872.1278
Phone (Toll Free): 800.663.1278
Phone (Tty-Voice):604.875.8835

Disabled Sailing Association of BC (DSA)
Enriching lives of people with disabilities, the DSA allows sailors to use the Martin 16, a fully adapted and accessible sailboat. You may sail by yourself or with an instructor on board. Adaptive sailing offers a sport with a higher level of independence for participants. Sailors compete alongside able-bodied participants.

#318 – 425 Carrall Street Vancouver BC V6B 6E3
Phone: 604.688.6464

Disabled Sailing Association of Kelowna
The DSA BC is a non-profit organization which hopes to introduce people with disabilities to the joys of sailing on our beautiful Okanagan Lake. Our Okanagan branch has been running since 1993.

1414 Water Street Kelowna BC V1Y 1J1
Phone: 250.300.5833

Government of BC – Employment Strategy for Persons with Disabilities in BC
The Employment Strategy for Persons with Disabilities focuses on developing on a broad range of new skills, training services, and employment-related programs to improve the employment outcomes of persons with disabilities and includes:Employment Program of BC Persons with DisabilitiesMinisters Council on Employment and AccessibilityCross-Ministry Supports for People with Disabilities

Government of BC – Fuel Tax Refund for Persons with Disabilities
When you purchase fuel in B.C., you pay fuel tax. If you have a qualifying disability, the fuel tax refund program allows you to request a refund of the provincial motor fuel tax you paid in B.C. on fuel you used in a vehicle you own. You may also be eligible for a discount on your vehicle insurance, which your Autoplan broker can help you with once you have qualified.

Phone (Toll Free): 877.388.4440

Government of Canada – Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefit (CPP-D)
The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) disability benefit, through the Federal Government of Canada, is available to people under the age of 65 who have made enough contributions to the CPP and whose disability prevents them from working at any job on a regular basis. The disability must be severe and prolonged. People who qualify for disability benefits from other programs may not qualify for the CPP-D. Information on how to apply can be accessed online or over the phone.


Government of Canada – Disability Tax Credit (DTC)
The Disability Tax Credit is a non-refundable tax credit that reduces the amount of Income Tax owed by individuals 18+ with a severe and prolonged disability (physical or mental), or the people who support them. Visit the website or contact Canada Revenue Agency for information on how to claim the disability amount.


Government of Canada – Employment for People with Disabilities
This webpage lists programs and services available in Canada which assist people
with disabilities in achieving and maintaining suitable employment, including:
Opportunities Fund for Persons with Disabilities
Canada Pensions Plan Disability
Vocational Rehabilitation Program
Training and Employment Initiatives


Government of Canada – Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP)
The Registered Disability Savings Plan is available to help people with disabilities and
their families to save for the future. To be eligible, individuals must:
Qualify for the Disability Tax Credit;
Be under the age of 60
Be a Canadian resident with a Social Insurance Number (SIN)


Government of Canada – Tax Exemptions for Persons with a Permanent Disability
Persons with disabilities are exempt from paying GST or HST on a range of goods
and services. See the website for details.

Website: eng.html

Make a Change Canada – Business Abilities Program
Business Abilities (BA) is an online program designed specifically for people with disabilities who wish to learn all about self-employment from the convenience of their home. The program is free and allows you to work at your own pace to gain employment and skills training through creating a business plan, research your idea, and accessing continued education on managing a business.

Phone (Toll Free): 888.927.7473 (press ‘1’ for Business Abilities)

MS Society of Canada
The MS Society provides services to people with multiple sclerosis and their families and funds research to find the cause and cure for this disease. It offers programs locally, from coffee groups to informative wellness sessions.

#230-1855 Kirschner Road Kelowna BC V1Y 4N7
Phone: 250.762.5850

National Education Association of Disabled Students – Disability Awards
NEADS advocates for increased accessibility for students at all levels of schooling and equal access to and participation in post-secondary, including providing a database of awards, scholarships, bursaries, and grants for Canadian post-secondary students with disabilities. Information on government student loans is also available.

1125 Colonel By Drive Carleton University Ottawa ON K1S 5B6
Phone: 613.380.8065
Phone (Toll Free): 877.670.1256

Neil Squire Society
The Neil Squire Society is the only national not-for-profit organization in Canada that has for over thirty years empowered Canadians with disabilities through the use of computer-based assistive technologies, research and development, and various employment programs. There is an office to assist you in Kelowna.

#400 3999 Henning Drive Burnaby BC V5C 6P9
Phone: 778.484.8250

Pacific Assistance Dogs Society (PADS)
PADS dogs are companions that are specially trained to aid people, including those with a physical disability. A Service Dog refers to a dog that assists those with a physical disability; Service Dogs are matched to people with varying levels of needs to help them perform daily activities. To apply, visit the website below to download an application. Please note that the PADS Service Dog program is not always open to applications.

9048 Stormont Avenue Burnaby BC V3N 4G6
Phone: 604.527.0556
Phone (Toll Free): 877.292.1765

People in Motion – Kelowna
The Kelowna & District Society for People In Motion (People In Motion) works to develop and enhance the lives and informal supports for people with disabilities and seniors with special needs recognizing that the social isolation and obstacles inherent to the disability or special needs can prevent or hinder opportunities to engage in healthy active living activities and relationship development.

#23-1720 Ethel Street Kelowna BC V1Y 2Y7
Phone: 250.861.3302

Seniors Advocate
The Seniors Advocate is responsible for tracking and reviewing issues affecting seniors well-being, improving awareness about resources which assist seniors and those who use seniors services, and making recommendations to government and seniors services providers. Translation services are available in 180+ languages.

1515 Blanshard Street Victoria BC V8W 9P4
Phone: 250.952.3181
Phone (Toll Free): 877.952.3181

SPARC – Parking Permit Program
Transferable parking permits are available with an identification number and the international wheelchair symbol which allow people with disabilities to access buildings and services by parking closer and given them extra width to get in and out of the vehicle. This permit is necessary to park in zones reserved for people with disabilities. Applications must be completed by a physician who then recommends the type of permit and the length of validity. An application processing fee is charged and varies according to the vendor. Passes for individuals last 3 years; for groups they last 1-12 months.See also City of Kelowna – Parking Permit Program

4445 Norfolk Street Burnaby BC V5G 0A7
Phone: 604.718.7744

Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) BC (formerly the BC Paraplegic Association)
Spinal Cord Injury BC promotes successful independent living for thousands of people with permanent injuries or damage to their spinal cord, including individuals living with multiple sclerosis. SCI BC offers a resource centre, programs, activities, peer support, education, The Spin Magazine, scholarships, and job search strategies. SCI Action Canada offers physical activity counselling.

780 SW Marine Drive Vancouver BC V6P 5Y7
Phone: 604.324.3611

Student Aid BC – Awards for Students with Permanent Disabilities
Full- and part-time post-secondary students with permanent disabilities can apply for government bursaries and grants. For information on student loans, occupations, education options, managing debt, and application forms, visit the website.

PO Box 9173 Stn Prov Govt Victoria BC V8W 9H7
Phone: 250.356.9455
Phone (Toll Free): 800.561.1818

TELUS Relay Service (TRS)
Telus Relay Service allows individuals who are hard of hearing, deaf, or are experiencing trouble with speech, and who have a TTY (Teletypewriter) to make confidential phone calls to others using a standard telephone, whether or not they are Telus subscribers. The service is available 24/7 and can place free local calls. Long Distance calls are placed at a reduced rate.

Phone (Toll Free): 866.558.2273
Phone (Tty-Voice):711
Phone (Voice-Tty):800.855.0511
Phone (Tty-Tty):800.855.1155

Tetra Society of North America
Tetras volunteer engineers and technicians create assistive devices for people with specific needs that cannot be met by commercial items. Everything created is custom made for each clients particular needs. The work is all done by volunteers within the clients own community.

#318 – 425 Carrall Street Vancouver BC V6B 6E3
Phone: 604.688.6464
Phone (Toll Free): 877.688.8762

WorkBC – Services for People with Disabilities
If you have a disability, you can take advantage of assistive devices, equipment, and technology, workplace access and modification, personal care services, interpreting and captioning, and ergonomic supports offered by Work BC. WorkBC also offers a comprehensive program of support for people entering the work place, including practical information and career tools. There are 3 offices in the Central Okanagan – in Kelowna, Rutland and West Kelowna.?

#102 – 1460 Pandosy St Kelowna BC V1Y 1P3
Phone: 250.952.6914
Phone (Toll Free): 877.952.6914